About this blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Lola


"Sad eyes never lie." - Bruce Springsteen

I work for a foundation, and my job involves raising funds for non-profit organizations in the Philippines. One of those organizations is The Camillian Sisters. This picture was taken at the Bahay Kanlungan ni Maria Domenica, a home for the elderly and the handicapped in Antipolo managed by the Sisters. This lola looked so sad my heart broke just a little. I wonder what stories she would tell.


The home follows a flexible daily schedule, which includes prayer time and socials. The lolas are especially fond of singing. I don't remember what songs they sang that afernoon we visited but I do remember one lola singing "Pearly Shells."


The sign emblazoned at the top of the home's main hall.



*The Camillian Sisters welcome any kind of help. You can sponsor an abandoned lola or help provide necessitites such as milk, diapers or soap. You can even just drop by and talk to the elderly. Lord knows they could use the company. For more information, just drop a line in the comments section and I'll help you get in touch with them.

No comments: